Monday, January 23, 2012

Read Love Reviews: Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Pub. Date: September 1, 2009
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Format: Nook book, 275pp
Age Range: Young Adult
Series: Hunger Games #2
ISBN-13: 9780545227247





Description from BN.com:
Suzanne Collins continues the amazing story of Katniss Everdeen in the phenomenal Hunger Games trilogy.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.
My Review:


Suzanne Collins did it! She wrote a sequel that is every bit as good as The Hunger Games. Possibly better. It's everything I can do not to dive into number 3 right away. I would if I could, but my dear husband has ordered the hardcover series box set after reading my paperback copy of book 1. So rather than order the Nook version, I will wait a few days for the books to arrive.

Don't worry, no spoilers here. I wouldn't do that to you! Read on....

I enjoyed seeing more of Panem and getting to know the other districts better in this installment. The overall setting really came to life.

Some have commented that the first part of Catching Fire is slow, but I didn't find it to be so. I enjoyed catching up with what life after the Games had been like for Katniss. We get to see more of her family and friends in District 12. Overall, Suzanne Collins continues to develop her characters. Katniss is more self-aware. It's nice to watch her grow and learn from her experience. She's still the same feisty girl, but she becomes more savvy about how her actions affect others. In addition to our heroine, you'll get to know all the principles better and meet some new folks, too.

Once again, there are scenes that will touch you, scenes where you will laugh and scenes where you will cry. And the whole time, you'll be totally immersed in the story. Like book 1, the text is tight and doesn't bog down the plot or slow the pace. Collins' economy of words is amazing. She manages to keep the plot moving while at the same time maximizing scenes. For instance, though sometimes a character may not have many scenes or extended dialogue, Collins always makes the most of the words she does use. Additionally, I marvelled at just how much takes place in such a slim volume. The plot, as it unfolds, gets increasingly complex. By the midway point, the novel takes off. And once you've read that far, you won't put it down. And don't worry, the author will keep you guessing. Trust me, when I finished the book, my jaw just plain dropped!
I look forward to finding out how life will continue to evolve for Katniss and the rest of Panem. I know Mockingjay will be just as incredible as the other two books have been. Can't wait!

If you haven't read this series yet, what are you waiting for??!

2 comments:

  1. FINNICK. Oops, sorry, got a little carried away with my love for Mr Odair. I really loved Catching Fire - seeing Katniss's growth, getting to know the characters better, and the whole direction Collins took the story in!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I was a bit more fond of the first book. But there's no doubt I enjoyed this book as well.

    ReplyDelete